Preventing cavities: it’s possible!
There are different ways to maintain good dental hygiene. To do so, you just need to establish new daily habits that will minimize the risk of cavities and, above all, to be aware of them.
Here are the simple things to do on a daily basis to avoid cavities:
- Eat the right foods: diet has a great impact on your oral hygiene. Certain foods are to be preferred such as nuts, seeds as well as fruits and vegetables. These foods contain minerals and vitamins that help keep your teeth healthy.
- Don’t underestimate tooth brushing: many people tend to neglect brushing their teeth and put it off until the next day, often out of laziness or lack of time. However, brushing removes bacteria that have accumulated throughout the day. Experts recommend brushing your teeth 2 to 3 times a day, using a fluoride toothpaste.
- Remember to chew gum from time to time: the benefits of chewing gum have been proven. Chewing gum after a meal helps protect your teeth. This is because saliva provides nutrients that protect your teeth from bacteria. Be careful to buy only sugar-free chewing gum to avoid the opposite effect! Of course, you should not use them intensively.
- Do regular check-ups with your dentist: don’t run away from the dentist! Health professionals recommend visiting your dentist about every six months. The most common mistake is to wait until you are in pain to make an appointment. This is a bad habit to get into, as cavities develop quickly. Your practitioner can help you prevent them.
- Choose your equipment carefully: make sure you make the right movements and use a toothbrush that is adapted to you. Soft toothbrushes are often recommended because they penetrate better between the teeth and do not weaken them. You can also bring dental floss and a good toothpaste.
Taking care of your oral health is a multitude of small habits to adopt on a daily basis. By doing the right things, you can avoid cavities at any age. It’s not too late to start if you haven’t already!